Peranga Windmill Park

This local park has open space to enjoy as well as basic play equipment, exercise equipment and picnic facilities.

History

Peranga Windmill 

Albert Kliese and his family moved into the Peranga district from Bergen, near Haden, during the early years of settlement and became prominent within the community. Albert was the first chairman of the Peranga School Committee when the school opened on 15th February 1915. He fathered 15 children.

Jacob Kliese, third son of Albert and Gertrude Kliese, along with his brothers began working as contractors within the district building fences and drilling water bores.

In 1917, they won a government contract to drill a bore to supply water to the township of Peranga which had been built on the railway line in 1912. There was no permanent water at Peranga and residents had to rely on rainwater tanks. Rainfall was infrequent.

The bore was drilled using steam-powered percussion equipment and was taken to a depth of 212 feet (approximately 65 metres). A tank and trough were erected for watering stock. Local farmers drove their sheep some distance to water at the trough in dry times. Many an empty cream can, collected from the railway station, was filled with fresh water at the tank before the return trip to the farm.

The present mill structure was erected by Rosalie Shire Council in the early 1950’s. Today, only the Police Station is supplied with water from the bore and the tanks alongside hold water for rural fire-fighting purposes. 

Information about the Centenary of Peranga memorial can be found on the Monument Australia website. 

Location

0 Denham Street, Peranga 4352  View Map

Google Map