Mothers' Memorial

A number of permanent memorial sites are present in the Toowoomba Region. Information about these memorials and what they stand for is available below.

The permanent memorial in Clewley Park, represents victims of violence past, present and future and has been crafted by stonemason and sculptor Daniel Gill.

It features an open-cupped hand rising out of rough sandstone, symbolising the release sought by victims of violence and the helping hand the Toowoomba community offers. It's a place for people to reflect and contemplate about their own lives. The sculpture is an amazing work and conjures up a number of different emotions when you are looking at it.

The monument was funded by Toowoomba Regional Council and the Toowoomba Says No to Violence committee.

Find on Google maps.

The first World War 1 memorial in Queensland is located in Nobby Cemetery. Open in Google maps.

The memorial is dedicated to Victor Denton who died in 1915 fighting for his country at the Dardanelles, Turkey.

The Mothers’ Memorial was originally constructed in Margaret Street, near the intersection with Ruthven Street, and officially unveiled by the State Governor on 28 January 1922.

The mothers of local men who were killed in World War I erected the memorial. It was relocated in 1985 to East Creek Park causing great controversy at the time. A plaque (to the north-west of the intersection) denotes the original site. Other memorials, commemorating the involvement of Australia’s Armed Forces in conflicts around the world, are also located in the park. 

Open in Google maps.












The Alfred Thomas Memorial


 The Alfred Thomas Memorial named after a prominent local figure in the development of railways in the Region, the monument holds social and historical significance.

Alfred Thomas was the supervising engineer at the Southern and Western Railway in the 1870s.  He lived in Toowoomba with his family who were highly respected and valued members of the community.

Following his retirement from civil service in 1879,  Mr Thomas built the railways south to Stanthorpe and west from Warwick in partnership with John Garget.


Tragically, on a return trip home from Sydney via ship, Mr Thomas fell overboard in Sydney Harbour on 10 August 1882 and drowned.  His body was later returned to Toowoomba and laid to rest at Drayton Cemetery.

Deeply shocked by his death, a committee of citizens, headed by W.H. Groom, decided to build a permanent memorial in his honour.

Today, the Alfred Thomas Memorial is surrounded by sprawling lawns, mature trees, and decorative garden beds.

Nearby, a vintage Naval cannon takes up its position facing Campbell Street.  It was donated to the people of Toowoomba, early in 1911, after its removal from the Marine Defence Force Naval Store, Kangaroo Point, Brisbane.

The wrought iron muzzle-loading fifled gun, 64-Pdr., 64Cwt., Mark III. had been used for training purposes. 



Emma Miller Memorial Plaque

The Emma Miller Memorial Plaque is located just off the pathway to the south-west of the Alfred Thomas Memorial.

Emma Miller (1839-1917) was a suffragist and is often recognised as the Mother of the Labour movement.  Her memorial plaque reveals that she, "advocated involvement in the working and political conditions not only of women, but also of men".

Emma Miller gave her last public speech in the Toowoomba Botanic Gardens on 20 January 1917.  She died two days later while in Toowoomba.


Vera Lacaze Memorial Park


The Vera Lacaze Memorial Park is the formal entrance to Queens Park from the CBD via Margaret and Hume Streets. This park is named in tribute to Vera Elizabeth Lacaze who was the first woman alderman in the Toowoomba City Council. The park features a water fountain, paths and picnic facilities. 

The modernist landscape design was laid out in 1964, possibly to the design of Mr Arne Fink, a local Landscape Architect, associated with Toowoomba gardens at that time. The sweep of the main concrete path with central garden bed, and 1960's modern light fittings provided a well-considered promenade in this corner of Queens Park. The distinctive fountains of graded sizes and the bridge over East Creek with stylish balustrades provides distinctive design elements to this pocket-park.

Vera Lacaze Memorial Park features:

  • Historical features – Site of Former Baths; Fountains; Bridge over East Creek
  • Other features of interest – Ornamental Display Gardens; entrance to Queens Park from Toowoomba CBD

William Charles Peak Memorial}

A drinking fountain was placed in the corner of Queens Park (Cnr. Linsay and Margaret Streets) in 1936 to recognise William Charles Peak’s service to the community. Mr Peak ran a grocery business and was Chairman of the Board of Directors of both the Darling Downs Building Society and Security Trust Co. as well as being on the executive of the Royal Agricultural Society and Chamber of Commerce.

Nobby's famous daughter and local hero, Sister Kenny, received world recognition for her revolutionary treatment of polio victims in the early to mid twentieth century.

She is recognised in the Sister Kenny memorial building located in the main street of Nobby. This memorial chronicles her life and gives an account of the battles she had with the medical establishment of the day.

She is buried in the peaceful Nobby cemetery, overlooking the wide rolling hills.

Open in Google maps.

The Toowoomba Soldiers’ Memorial Hall is a Queensland State Heritage registered building owned by Toowoomba Regional Council. It is located at 149 Herries Street, Toowoomba (Cnr Ruthven St). Find on Google maps.

It was built primarily as a common facility for those from the Toowoomba district who had served and returned from the First World War. The building also serves as a Shrine to the memory of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

The original idea of erecting a memorial hall in Toowoomba was first raised at a meeting of citizens and returned soldiers held at the Toowoomba Town Hall in 1918.

A committee to coordinate fundraising and the construction of the hall was appointed in 1919.