West Toowoomba aerial

Rate notices are issued during August and February and reflect the cost of services, facilities and activities that are supplied or undertaken for the benefit of the community. We are required to raise an appropriate amount of revenue to maintain assets and provide services to the region as a whole.

From the date of the notice, you have 31 days to pay or enter into a payment arrangement with us. A 10% discount is applied if the rate notice is paid by the due date.

In deciding how the revenue is raised, we consider:

  • The rateable value of the land and the benefit of averaging valuations
  • Relative valuation between different types of land
  • The approach to general rating adopted by the Toowoomba Regional Council for the 2021-22 financial year
  • The demand that some land users place on the services we provide

Related information

Example rate notice

Click on the rates notice to view a larger version.

 rate notice example 2019




Rate descriptions

The charges on your notice can look complex and be difficult to understand. So to help you, we've provided an explanation about the standard items that make up your notice and how these are calculated to get your total amount. Below you'll find information about:

  1. Rate categories (differential general rate categories)
  2. Separate charges
  3. Special charges
  4. Utility charges
  5. State Emergency Management Levy

We have a differential general rating scheme that recognises the diverse demographics of the region. This approach recognises land used for the following purposes:

  • City and outer urban areas
  • Main towns and small towns
  • Extensive rural areas
  • Commercial and general industrial areas
  • Extractive industries
  • Noxious industries
  • Shopping centres
  • Mining
  • Power generation

The category that your land has been placed in appears on the second page of your rate notice (see example above). Read more about rating categories...

Separate charges are for any other service, facility or activity that is not funded through other rates and charges.

 We levy separate charges on all rateable land within our region for:

  1.  Park and Open Space Levy (previously known as Park and Bushland Levy) 
  2.  Environmental Levy
  3.  Biosecurity and Bushland Conservation Levy (previously known as Natural Resource Management Levy)

In each case, it is considered that it is more appropriate to raise these funds by a separate charge, rather than from general funds, so that the community is aware of our commitment to the three specific activities to be funded by the charges.

Park and Open Space Levy

A separate charge will be levied equally on all rateable land. The revenue raised from this levy helps fund the cost to Council to acquire and maintain land for parks/open space corridors or bushland preservation purposes.

Environmental Levy

A separate charge will be levied equally on all rateable land. The revenue raised from this levy helps fund the costs to Council to implement the Toowoomba Regional Council Waste Management Strategy 2021, which includes consolidating, rationalising and improving Council's waste management facilities and rehabilitating closed landfill sites. 

Biosecurity and Bushland Conservation Levy

A separate charge will be levied equally on all rateable land. The revenue raised from this levy helps fund the costs to Council to implement biosecurity and bushland conservation initiatives which includes issues such as weed eradication, feral animal control, liaison with environmental groups (e.g. landcare) and environmental education initiatives.

Special charges are for services, facilities and activities that have a special association with particular land.

Rural Fire Equipment Levy

Pursuant to section 94 of the Local Government Regulation 2012 and section 128A of the Fire and Emergency Services Act 1990, we levy a special charge (to be known as the “Rural Fire Equipment Levy”) on all rateable land within our region that also attracts a Class E Emergency Management Levy (pursuant to Part 3 of the Fire and Emergency Services Regulation 2011), to fund the ongoing provision and maintenance of rural fire fighting equipment, operations and buildings for the rural fire brigades that operate throughout the rural areas of the region.

Utility charges are for a service, facility or activity for water, sewerage and waste management.

Sewerage Utility Charges

Sewerage utility charges apply to all properties that are contained either wholly or partly within the declared sewered area or outside the declared sewered area but connected or may be connected to our sewerage system. Revenue from these charges is used for the purpose of covering the cost of planning and constructing sewerage infrastructure (including interest and redemption charges incurred by us) and the cost of operating, maintaining and managing the sewerage system. The charge is set so as to recover these costs. A charge is applied to each W.C. pedestal installed on each property (exceptions apply).

Waste Management Utility Charges

Waste management utility charges are determined on a user pays basis and collected and used for the purpose of covering the cost of supplying a waste management service for the removal and disposal of waste. The charges are set so as to recover waste management costs including:

  • Waste service administration
  • Waste facility operation
  • Waste minimisation and reduction education
  • Post closure of waste facilities
  • For commercial waste collection only, the State Waste Levy

The waste management services provided include –

  • Residential - waste collection.
  • Residential - recycling collection.
  • Residential - greenwaste collection.
  • Commercial - waste collection.
  • Commercial - recycling collection.
  • Commercial - greenwaste collection.

Integrated in the provision of waste management services is a recycling program. In respect to domestic waste, a waste management utility charge is applied per tenement where a normal waste collection service and recycling collection service is not applied per tenement due to sharing of services such as bulk waste bin services. “Tenement” includes any premises used as a separate domicile such as, for example -

  • a single unit private dwelling or
  • premises containing 2 or more flats, apartments or other dwelling units, each used as a separate domicile or
  • a boarding house, hostel, lodging house, or guest house.

In respect to rural properties not receiving any waste collection service from us, a waste management facility charge will be applied where waste is generated or is capable of being generated from rural properties with a domestic component.

Trade Waste Utility Charges

Revenue from these charges is used for the purpose of recovering the additional costs of operating, maintaining and managing the sewerage system, resulting from acceptance of waste from commercial and industrial premises which has an organic strength greater than that of domestic sewerage and which may also contain a variety of exotic substances such as heavy metals, organic solvents, and chlorinated organics which sewerage treatment systems are not designed to treat. 

The Queensland Government Fire and Rescue Act 1990, requires Councils to levy and collect, on its behalf, a State Emergency Management Levy. 

The levy is to provide a more sustainable funding base for emergency services, recognising that all Queenslanders are at risk from possible floods, cyclones, storms, fires and accidents. It will be used by local Rural Fire Groups to fund activities within our region. The levy is based on property use, the structures on the property and the fire and rescue capability in the area.

Please contact Queensland Fire and Emergency Services on 137 468 for more information regarding the levy.

Much of this information has been extracted from the Special Meeting to consider the Adoption of the 2021/22 Operational Plan, Budget and Revenue Statement - 16 June 2021 - Minutes.


What to do after purchasing or selling a property

Once all necessary paperwork for the sale of the house has been processed by the solicitors, they will send the settlement/transfer of ownership documents to the Department of Resources. The documents are lodged with the titles office to change the name on the title deed for the property. Department of Resources will then inform us of the change of ownership. This process can take up to 3 months.

Sometimes when settlement occurs during the rates issue period the notice is issued to the previous owner. Even though settlement has taken place, it can take us up to three months to receive notification of the new owner from the titles office. If this occurs, contact us and we can check the status of the change of ownership.


Fees and charges

View our current fees & charges from Fees & charges by type.