Some building work is deemed to be self-assessable and does not require a building permit. Refer to the self assessable building work article for more detailed information on self-assessable building work. All other building work requires building approval from Council.

Building development applications can be lodged with a Council building certifier or a private building certifier (licensed with the Queensland Building Services Authority). Generally, applications made to Council certifiers can be lodged at one of Council's service centres or to the Duty Building Certifier in the Toowoomba Service Centre on Tuesdays and Thursdays (between 9 am and 4.30 pm).

Additional considerations will need to be given during the application process in the following circumstances:

  • Proposed building work that does not comply with the setback provisions contained in Council's planning schemes and Queensland Development Code (QDC)
  • Proposed use of premises that is inconsistent with the provisions of the relevant Council planning scheme
  • Proximity of proposed building work to council maintained sewer, stormwater and water mains
  • Amenity and aesthetics

The following building activities also require Council approval:

  • Sites affected by tree preservation
  • Building and construction site noise
  • Material deposited on footpaths
  • Vehicle crossings and driveway gradients within the footpath area
  • Erection of signs
  • Soil and erosion control for site works


Referral agency approval for building activities

As described under the Building Regulations 2006 the following agencies may also need to be involved in the approval process:

  • Queensland Fire and Rescue (QFRS)
  • Department of Environment and Heritage Protection
  • Workplace Health and Safety Queensland
  • Queensland Health
  • Department of Transport and Main Roads
  • Qld Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services
  • Safe Food Queensland.