Last Updated: Tuesday, 16 January 2018 11:13
Couple dining outdoors on footpath

We monitor the standards of operation for food premises that provide footpath dining. Subordinate Local Law No. 1.2 (Commercial Use of Government Controlled Areas and Roads) 2011 regulates outdoor dining to ensure the safety of diners and pedestrians.The information below is to provide guidance on approval requirements if you wish to conduct dining activities on a Council controlled area or road (Ie: on a footpath).

This information is not applicable to private property.

When you need an approval

If you intend to use the Council controlled area and road and you can meet all the minimum standards (see below) you will not require an approval.

An application is required to be submitted if you are unable to meet the attached minimum standards (see below) and are intending to use a Council controlled area or road for footpath dining. Additionally, other approvals or permits may be required such as a Food Licence or Development Approval. Please contact us to progress your footpath dining application. This will need to be done well in advance of any planned operations.

Minimum standards

If you meet the below standards no approval is required. The person providing footpath dining must: