Youtube Facebook Twitter Instagram
The Pittsworth area was originally part of a larger Jondaryan Shire. Following representations to the Department of Local Government, a ballot was held that resulted in Pittsworth being proclaimed a local authority on 24 April 1913.
The first Council meeting was held at the Lyceum Hall Pittsworth on 9 July 1913, where WP Copp was elected chairman.
The same meeting saw Mr W O'Hara appointed as acting council clerk, discussions regarding acquiring a site for the new shire office and the appointment of a foreman of works, plus the rate for all three divisions was set at 1 and 1/4 pence in the pound. A new council office and hall was constructed in 1914 at a cost of £766.
In November 1913 it was decided to call applications for a maintenance man. The successful applicant was to supply a dray, two horses, plough, scoop and all necessary tools.
In 1956 a new Civic Centre was built for £62,000 which consisted of a Town Hall and Shire Chambers.
Prior to the 2008 merger into Toowoomba Regional Council, the Pittsworth Shire Council comprised of an independently elected mayor and six councillors.
On 15 May 2008, the Pittsworth Shire Council was amalgamated with seven other Councils to form Toowoomba Regional Council.
1913 - 1915: W P Copp
1915 - 1917: J Bickerton
1917 - 1918: W Sullivan
1918 - 1921: A C Kreig
1921 - 1923: J Bickerton
1923: J Holmes
1923 - 1936: A C Kreig
1936 - 1939: W Lee-Archer
1939 - 1946: A C Kreig
1946 - 1949: W Lee-Archer
1949 - 1957: A Fletcher
1957 - 1967: L Joppich
1967 - 1985: R T Stirling
1985 - 1994: L D Stallman
1994 - 1998: W J Drummond
1998 - 2008: R S Scotney