Toowoomba Heritage Self-Drive Tour

In the 1990s, Toowoomba historians wrote Walking Tours designed to raise heritage awareness of the most vulnerable places considered to be worthy of protection because of their cultural importance. To...

SW1 Japanese Gardens, University of Southern Queensland

Regent Street, Darling Heights. One of the most peaceful and beautiful parks in Toowoomba is the University's Japanese Garden. Ju Raku En (roughly translated means 'to enjoy peace and longevity...

SW2 Gumbi Gumbi Gardens, University of Southern Queensland

Located on West Street, Darling Heights. In the spirit of reconciliation, the Gumbi Gumbi Gardens have been established through a partnership between the community and the University of So...

SW3 The Handley Chestnut Tree Plaque

Located on the Corner of West and Nelson Streets, Toowoomba. In 1860 there were three large farms facing the present Baker Street. In order from the Chestnut tree, they were John Handley’s Paradise...

SW4 Thiess Park

Located at 82-84 Luck Street, Darling Heights This park is dedicated to the memory of the Thiess family, early settlers of Drayton, and in particular Sir Leslie Thiess. Born at Drayton in 1909...

SW5 Drayton Soldiers’ Memorial Park

Located on the corner of Brisbane and Luck Streets, Drayton. The Drayton and District Fallen Soldiers’ Memorial was unveiled on 28 June 1924. Crafted in Helidon Sandstone, it was dedicate...

SW6 The Royal Bull's Head Inn

Located at 59 Brisbane Street, Drayton. In 1847 an inn was built by William Horton, formerly head stockman for Henry Stuart Russell on Cecil Plains Station. The name was in memory of Champion, R...

SW7 Steele Rudd Memorial

Located on the corner of Darling and Brisbane Streets, Drayton. This neat basalt cairn is a memorial to Arthur Hoey Davis (the son of Thomas Davis, a blacksmith and his wife Mary) who, as&n...

SW8 Benjamin Glennie Memorial

 Located on the corner of Rudd and Cambooya Streets, Drayton. This cairn surmounted by a cross commemorates the work of pioneer clergyman Rev. Benjamin Glennie, the first Anglican clergyman ...

SW9 The Jack Martin Centre

Located at 552-570 Anzac Ave, Drayton. The land on which the Jack Martin Centre stands was owned, controlled and managed by the Jarowair and Giabal peoples until the 1840s. The title was he...

SW10 St. Matthew’s Anglican Church

 Located at 45 Beatrice Street, Drayton. St. Matthew’s Church of England is a small bluestone church constructed in 1886-7 to the design of James Marks. It's complemented by a timber hall buil...

SW11 DownsSteam Museum

Located at 16 Cambooya Street, Drayton. Since formation in 2001, DownsSteam has established an active railway precinct on the former Drayton sidings, acquiring a large rolling stock fleet includ...

SW12 Smithfield House

Located at 8 Panda Street, Toowoomba. Smithfield House was designed by James Marks and Son for James Taylor, a former squatter, Member of Parliament and Mayor of Toowoomba. The house was built b...

SW13 Drayton and Toowoomba Cemetery

Located at 452 South Street, Harristown.  The first survey of Drayton in 1850 identified this area as the site for the first official burial ground. Still in use, it contains more than 45,000 bu...

SW14 Toowoomba and Darling Downs Family History Society

Located at 452 South Street, Harristown. The Toowoomba and Darling Downs Family History Society was formed to help people research their family history. Details of past generations can be gleaned fro...

SW15 Harristown State High School

Located at 341-367 South Street, Harristown. Established in 1955, Harristown State High School was State Heritage listed in 2016 as demonstrating the evolution of state education and its associated a...

SW16 Redlands - Concordia College

Located at 154 Stephen Street, Harristown. Redlands was originally built on about 28 acres (11 ha.) of land for store owner Edmund Wilcox in 1899. Designed by James Marks, this stately two-storey bui...

SW17 Drayton Deviation Railway

Located at 16 Cambooya Street, Drayton. Some two years before the first train reached Toowoomba in 1867, official requests were made to the Colonial Government for the line to continue through Drayto...

NW1 The Glennie School Chapel

Located at 246 Herries Street, Newtown. Miss Grace Lawrance, headmistress since the school opened in 1910, set up a fund and soon had raised enough to begin building a chapel on the grounds. The Glen...

NW2 & NW3 Newtown Saleyards - Drover's Rest and McPhie Park

Drovers Rest located at the Corner of Anzac Avenue and Holberton Street and Hursley Road, Toowoomba McPhie Park Located at 2A Allenby Street, Newtown Both the Drovers’ Rest in Anzac Avenue and McP...