Toowoomba roofs

Development is when building work, plumbing or drainage work, operational work, reconfiguring a lot or making a material change of use of premises, is carried out. In many cases, you will be required to submit a development, building or plumbing form to council for assessment.

We are governed by the Planning Act 2016, therefore you can be assured that everyone is treated equally and fairly.


Getting started with development

Understanding the development application process is one of the first things you will need to know. This will help you understand the bigger picture under which your application will be determined. It's also important to know that all development applications are governed by the Planning Act 2016 and will be assessed against the Toowoomba Regional Planning Scheme 2012.

It also really important to understand what restrictions there may be over your proposed development. Using the search options in the mapping section (Schedule 2) of the Toowoomba Regional Planning Scheme will tell you what zones and overlays as well as what plans apply to the proposed development area. 

Development proposals can be subject to different categories of assessment. A category of assessment will specify the process that a development proposal must go through. If a development approval is required, the proposal can either go through a ‘code assessment’ process or an ‘impact assessment’ process.

There are also certain types of developments (selected low-risk Code Assessable development applications that comply with the Planning Scheme requirement) which may be suitable to be assessed under the FastTrack assessment process. To find out more please see the FastTrack Applications webpage.

Most developments will also require the provision of infrastructure, such as water supply, sewerage and stormwater. Charges Resolution No. 3 information sheet INFO 004 has more information about infrastructure charges. Some developments may require owners consent.

Council Street Trees are protected under local law and may affect how a site can be developed. Trees on public and private land has more information about street trees.

Council also has a panel – the Development Assessment Panel (DAP), comprised of Councillors and senior planning officers who meet regularly to discuss certain development applications.


Related information

Charges Resolution No. 3 information sheet INFO 004

Development - Driveways and works in the road reserve information sheet INFO 013 (for print)

Development - Landscape plans information sheet INFO 006 (for print)

Department of State Development