We are proposing development of the Charlton sports precinct over multiple stages as funding becomes available. This precinct could include two multi-purpose premier sports fields, four ovals, seven soccer fields, six league/union fields, hard courts, amenities, informal recreation areas, car and bus parking bays.
Subject to future confirmation of demand, other facilities that may be developed include northern playing fields, a leisure centre, an adventure sports park, netball courts, sports office facilities and a licensed club.
Council endorsed master plan and report
The Charlton sports precinct recognises Toowoomba as a major regional centre within South East Queensland and will play a critical role in servicing local and regional sporting needs and attracting major sporting and cultural events that promote the social and economic well-being of the region.
The master plan and Report aims to inform the future development of the Charlton Sports Precinct in order to achieve the following objectives:
- Encouraging active participation in sport and recreation
- Achieving design excellence
- Demonstrating best practice in sustainability and accessibility
- Engaging the community at defined stages of the project
- Achieving cost-effective and resourceful use of land for community purposes
- Supporting economic growth in the region
- Delivering sound governance and identifying risk
We will continue to support existing sporting facilities within the Toowoomba Region and will not close sporting fields, however it is important the current deficiency in developed sports land in the Toowoomba Region is addressed.
- The Regional Strategic Sport and Recreation Plan 2010 and the Open Space Network Study 2012 identified that there is a current deficiency in developed sports land with this deficiency predicted to increase unless additional facilities are developed within the Toowoomba Region.
- Council made the decision in October 2011 to approve acquisition of a major sports precinct site, with land being acquired in March 2013.
- Toowoomba Regional Council acquired a site to be known as the Charlton Sports Precinct incorporating Lots 110 & 112 on A345, Lots 144 & 145 on A345, Lot 111 on A3155 and Lot 1 on RP141382 and totalling 43.87 hectares. Land sale was finalised on 07 March 2013.
- Charlton Sports Precinct Master Plan and Report endorsed by Council in March 2015.
- Initial design planning commences in 2016/17.