Toowoomba's purpose-built cycling criterium track offers cyclists a safe recreation and training venue. It's a fantastic facility for the whole community with six different track configurations offering a versatile and flexible layout, and with distances ranging from 350m to 1.76km.
Whether you are on training wheels, enjoy a social bike ride, dream of becoming a professional cyclist or ride competitively, the track will suit your level of skill and fitness. Situated on undulating terrain, the circuit is unlike all other criterium tracks around the country, making it an appealing facility for elite state and national competition or training.
The criterium track was named after Peter Watts who was a successful national triathlete and a keen cyclist of Toowoomba. As a passionate member of the community's Cycle Development Facilities Committee, Peter drove the concept and detailed design works for this high class track.
A network of cycle lanes connecting the Toowoomba CBD to the criterium track allows cyclists an easier ride if choosing to ride to the facility.
The venue is free for public use unless the track has been booked specifically. A noticeboard at the venue will indicate whether the track is open or closed to the public.
Bookings can be made by contacting us on 131 872.
The venue has car parking and an amenities block with change rooms, showers, toilets and a toilet for people with a disability. Access to the small club room and facilities in the amenities block can be arranged when hiring the venue.
Using the track
We ask users of the track to follow a few simple rules to ensure everyone stays safe. Signs are erected around the venue detailing safety instructions for all users.
All cyclists must obey the following track rules when using the venue:
- All cyclists must wear a helmet
- All tracks are to be ridden anti-clockwise
- Give way to cyclists on track one (or full course layout – 1.76km)
- Always overtake on the right
- Take care when overtaking children or inexperienced cyclists
- Early morning users must consider noise levels affecting nearby residents
Other facility rules include:
- Walkers/joggers are prohibited from the track
- Pedestrians must give way to cyclists and use extreme caution when crossing the track
- No motorised vehicles are permitted
- Dogs must be kept on a leash
- All rubbish must be placed in bins provided