Newtown Park & Queensland State Rose Garden - Newtown
Address: 147 Taylor Street, Newtown QLD 4350
Newtown Park is one of Toowoomba's premier parks covering an area of 30 acres (12ha).
- It's a must-see location with three main feature areas including the renowned Queensland State Rose Garden, a children's playground and barbecue area, and sports ovals with croquet lawns and cricket pitches.
Bounded by Holberton, Taylor, Tor and Pottinger Streets, the park is popular for revelling in the delights of the gardens, enjoying family activities, and participating in sport or fitness pursuits.
A number of pathways link across the park alongside a collection of murals, plaques and rest areas dotted throughout for the enjoyment of park users.
For more information about this wonderful space, visit the Queensland State Rose Garden website.
The ‘Heritage Roses in Australia’ and Reithmuller collections are now housed in newly designed garden beds within Newtown Park Rose Garden, along with the Alister Clark collection that has been planted on the eastern side of the hall.
The addition of attractive trellises, arbours, paths and seating are the result of recent improvement works funded entirely by the Friends of the Queensland State Rose Garden in Newtown Park from donations and in-kind support.
Newtown Park is home to the Queensland State Rose Garden with approximately 2000 roses planted in various displays and collections. The Queensland State Rose Garden is located off Holberton Street and has a sealed car park and community hall that are both accessible off Pottinger Street.
For more information about the Queensland State Rose Garden or to book the hall for events please visit garden profile in the community directory.
Local residents and Friends of the Queensland State Rose Garden volunteers contribute towards the garden's development, making it a very successful community project.
The garden's roses were selected from the floribunda, hybrid tea, David Austin and climbing varieties. Of special interest are the Reithmuller Rose varieties, including Titian and Carabella roses, which were bred by Toowoomba-born David Reithmuller.
Picnickers regularly enjoy the gardens and their surrounds including the attractive and generously sized picnic shelter.
The soothing sounds of the park's water fountain add calm to the charming space.
For families with children, a playground rests in a quiet corner under a spreading Water Oak tree (See Toowoomba's best trees for more information).
A children's play area is located adjacent to Pottinger Street.
This section of the park has a large range of innovative play equipment, gas barbecues, covered picnic areas and toilets.
It's a popular place for small events such as children's birthday parties.
Newtown Park houses a number of sporting facilities including three cricket fields with synthetic wickets, a basketball half-court and three croquet lawns.
The main cricket field has limited lighting.
Aspects of the central feature were based on the park's original 1930's plan. On the 3rd of November 2013 the park held its centenary celebrations, when the centenary project works were officially unveiled.
Newtown Park gardens are a popular location for weddings and wedding photos.
Refer to our park bookings for more information on booking a wedding ceremony in the park.
The land that the Newtown Park is situated on was originally purchased as 'a breathing space for the people to enjoy recreation'.
The land for Newtown Park, known as Pottinger’s Paddock, was acquired in 1912 by the then Gowrie Shire Council. When this Council was abolished and the Newtown Town Council came into existence, progressive work on the land was pushed ahead. The park was officially opened to the public on Saturday, 20th September 1913. In 1917 the Newtown Town Council merged with the Toowoomba City Council who continued to progress the park’s development. In the 1930’s avenues of trees were planted over the park to form the St George Cross on the Union Jack. The Rose Garden was commenced in 2001.
Toowoomba Girl Guides established a branch in Newtown Park in 1920 with a small hut being erected on the grounds in the 1950s. In 1985 the huts were removed but later the Guides were given another building to utilised that had been used for boxing and wrestling.
In the Eastern section of the Park off Holberton street exists an entrance pavilion, which displays historical plaques commemorating the many historical figures, events and initiatives which have formed Newtown Park.
The park also has a long history with the war efforts, being used by the Light Horse Regiments, and as a Military Base for recruitment, training, camps and rest and recreation leave.
During WWI, the park was used extensively by the local citizen force, and the Militia and Darling Downs Light Horse units, including the 11th Light Horse Brigade, who used the park as their headquarters. During WWII twenty buildings were acquired for rest and recreation purposes by the American forces.
Towards the centre of the park there is a memorial to the 11th Light Horse Regiment and a memorial to war animals.