We support people who are learning English as a second language, and adults looking to improve their reading, writing and numeracy skills through the following services:
1. The literacy collection
This collection includes aids to reading, writing, speaking and listening to English as well as basic numeracy. The literacy collection is in the Adult Non-Fiction section at ANF 428 under the 'Mastering English' sign.
2. The Road to IELTS (International English Language Testing System) online program
This online program contains general and academic preparation and practice with interactive activities. The program is aimed at practicing the challenges faced in the IELTS tests. This resource can be accessed from home or from the library using your library barcode card number.
- Road to IELTS general training - The general training test is for those who want to do work experience or training programs, secondary school or migrate to an English-speaking country. Please provide your library barcode number when prompted.
- Road to IELTS Academic - The academic test is for those who want to study at a tertiary level in an English-speaking country. Please provide your library barcode number when prompted.
- Practical Writing is a program that will help students with writing essays, emails, reports, job applications, notes, letters and more.
3. English conversation groups
Would you like to practice speaking English in a small friendly group?
Volunteer tutors run free small group sessions at Millmerran Library and Toowoomba City Library every week for adults with English as a second language. Here you can practise your everyday English skills and learn about Australia in a relaxed and supportive environment.
Toowoomba City Library
Where: Library Meeting Rooms
- Wednesday 1pm – 2.30pm
- Thursday and Saturday 10am – 11.30am
Advanced English and IELTS preparation tutorial, Saturday 12noon – 2pm
Contact: Please contact Toowoomba City Library for more information.
When: Wednesday afternoon 3.45pm – 5pm during school term.
Contact: Please contact Millmerran Library for more information. All welcome. Please arrive before the start of the class.
4. Advanced English and IELTS
Classes are held each Saturday from 12pm - 2pm. Bookings are not necessary.