On 19 November 2019, we approved a plan to implement two new water security initiatives for our Region. The two initiatives below will:
- assist residents to capture and use rainwater for domestic purposes including gardening and relieve pressure on potable water supplies particularly within our regional centres
- assist with the maintenance of roads, maintenance of open spaces and recreational facilities and construction dust suppression while reducing reliance on our potable ground water bores.
Rainwater tank rebate
We’ve introduced a rainwater tank rebate scheme commencing on 1 January 2020 and closing on 30 June 2020. This water security initiative will provide a rebate to the first 1,000 applications to retrofit water tanks of at least 10,000 litres capacity, to existing houses that are connected to our water supply.
To be eligible for the scheme you must:
- be the owner of an existing residential house connected to Council water
- be one of the first 1,000 applications to retro-fit a water tank
- install a water tank/s of at least 10,000 litres capacity
- only submit one application per residential rate assessment.
How the financial rebate works
The rebate will consist of a $300 reduction to either the water or rates notice (whichever notice comes first after the application approval). The rebate will only be actioned after the application has been approved and proof of the installed water tank has been provided by 30 June 2020.
How to apply for the scheme
- Fill in and submit the Domestic rainwater tank rebate application form. A receipt of the new tank purchase and a copy of the Notifiable Work Form 4 filled in by your licenced plumber must be attached to the form.
- Our staff will review your application and let you know if it’s been successful.
Frequently asked questions
The rainwater tank rebate scheme applies to the installation of a least one tank of a minimum 10,000 litre capacity. You can install more than one tank to reach the 10,000 litre capacity if you wish.
You can only submit one application per residence.
No. The tank needs to be purchased new and a receipt provided as proof of purchase.
Yes. The rebate scheme only applies to residential properties connected to the Toowoomba Bulk Water Supply Scheme or Toowoomba Non-bulk Water Supply Scheme.
Yes. The plumber must also fill in a Notifiable Work Form 4.
No. The only requirement is that the tank has at least one tap for outside water use.
Any of the above tank materials are acceptable for the rebate.
No. You can buy the tank, brand new, from any supplier.
No. The rebate is only for rainwater tanks purchased after 1 January 2020. Proof of purchase must be provided and the installation must be completed by a licenced plumber.
Expression of Interest (EOI) for irrigators to supply ground water
Under our second water security initiative, we'll advertise an Expression of Interest for irrigators to supply ground water for our use. When advertised, existing holders of water allocations would be able to express interest in either selling their allocation or entering seasonal water assignment agreements. More information about this will be provided at a later date.