Our region is in the grips of drought and we need to all work together to conserve water. We are aiming to continue reducing our consumption.
Find out below about:
- Water usage statistics
- How much water ordinary activities use
- How to estimate your daily usage
- Water saving tips
How to estimate your daily usage
There are several ways you can estimate your daily water usage:
- Use the usage estimates above to calculate your usage.
- Check your water rates notice. This shows your daily water consumption for the household and compares it to the usage in the previous water rates period.
- Check your water meter. Information about how to read your water meter can be found in our 'Water meter' article.
- Water Corporation have a great water usage calculator which can estimate the daily water usage for your household. This allows you to identify possible areas of improvement. Open the water use calculator.
- Appliances that are reasonably new come with the manufacturer's product information which will tell you how much water they use.
By checking your water consumption monthly you can help reduce the amount of water consumed in our region and quickly detect any unexplained increases in water use that may indicate a leak. Read more about water leaks here.
How much water ordinary activities use
To help you reduce your water consumption we have listed the amount of water used when performing everyday activities around the home. You can use these figures to calculate how much water you and your family are using, and plan how to reduce your consumption.
Shower: 6 to 11 litres per minute
Bath: 120 litres per filled bath
Washing hands with water running: 3 litres per minute
Drinking: 2 litres per person per day
Washing outdoors, including pets, furniture, car:
Hosing driveways / pavements: 15 litres per minute
Topping up pool / spa / water features: 15 litres per minute
The figures above were collected from the Queensland Government Department of Energy and Water Supply. Figures quoted are approximate.
We have a collection of water tips to help you save water at home and at work: