The biosecurity surveillance program focuses on invasive biosecurity matter (e.g. wild dogs and weeds) as identified in the Biosecurity Act 2014. The purpose of the program is to monitor compliance under the Biosecurity Act 2014 regarding management of invasive biosecurity matter, confirm the presence and extent of invasive biosecurity matter, promote best practice management and advice and information aimed at enhancing community awareness of biosecurity matter.
Individual properties throughout the local authority will be selected for compliance monitoring based on the observable presence of invasive biosecurity matter and/or receipt of a complaint.
A majority of properties within identified priority surveillance localities will be inspected to confirm the presence and extent of invasive biosecurity matter. All properties inspected for this purpose will also be monitored for compliance.
The program will be carried out over a period of 12 months, from 1 August 2019 until 30 July 2020.
Areas to which the program applies
The program is authorised over the whole of the Toowoomba Regional Council local authority area. Priority surveillance areas have been identified for the following localities for purposes of confirming the presence and extent of invasive biosecurity matter:
- Gowrie Mountain
Measures an authorised officer may take under the program
Authorised officers may:
- enter a property for the purpose of identifying the presence or extent of invasive biosecurity matter.
- direct an occupier of the place to take reasonable steps within a reasonable time to remove or eradicate the matter to which the program relates.
- take samples of suspected declared pest(s) for third party identification.
- produce a written and/or electronic note(s) to support program activities.
- take GPS coordinates to ensure the accuracy of location details of invasive declared pests.
- provide advice and information to assist landholders/occupiers to meet their general biosecurity obligations.
Owners/occupiers are required to provide any assistance to an authorised officer as may be required under section 297 of the Biosecurity Act 2014.